Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Grace's glasses

Sorry it's been so long since our last post. We have lots of pics and videos that we should post, we're just deadbeats.

Grace is 15 months old. In the past 6 weeks her eyes have started to cross. Her left eye in particular looks inward toward her nose from time to time. At first we thought it was our imagination, but it got worse and worse until we finally took her to a children's eye doctor. She was tested and the doctor said Grace is very very farsighted, and that her eyes are straining to focus and crossing too much. So that explains why she still isn't walking! The poor girl hasn't been able to see anything but a blur. We're just glad we caught it so early, this kind of problem often goes undetected until age 2 or 3. It was impressive that they can determine the prescription of a baby. The doctor had lots of toys to distract her, and she shined special lights into her eyes and determined the proper prescription based on how the light diverged when reflecting back from her retina.

So we just got Grace's glasses today. They're adorable. The earpieces wrap 270 degrees around her ears to keep them on. They're thick though, and a little heavy, even though they used the lightest lenses they could. Her little eyes are magnified, and she looks beautiful with them on. This video below is a little dim, but we'll post more pics and videos later. We're getting a new camera that will take much better videos.

Evelyn is jealous, since Stacey got glasses last month, and now Grace has some too. She keeps wanting to wear Grace's glasses. She even squinted and said, "See, I need glasses!" Nice try stinkerbug.

We've had the glasses for half a day, and so far we've kept them on her nose for a total of 30 minutes. She left them on for a long time during dinner. Hopefully she gets used to them fast. Stacey and I are anxious to catch her up. She is generally disinterested in reading books and in coloring, go figure. She also never watches movies, so now she might give the "Your baby can read" videos another chance.




Ok, now it's been a day since we posted that video, and we just got our new camera. So we've gotten much better pictures and videos than our old camera could take, so I'm including those pictures below. Also, Grace has been keeping her glasses on all morning!!!

Grace is loving her new glasses. She's so happy in this picture because she's having much more success using her spoon now that she can see the individual Cheerios.


In this picture you can sort of see that her left eye still looks inward. We'll have to talk to the eye doctor about that.






I don't know why she started crying, but I think this picture is adorable. I was just giving her her favorite treat, frozen blueberries, and she turned on me.


I love how babies look right after they realize they're crying for no reason.


I love our new camera. The videos have fantastic quality but they take up 100 MB per minute, which is too much to upload to the blog, so I've reduced the resolution of this video. At least the videos aren't dark like on our old camera!

5 comments:

Laurel said...

Cannot believe how light her hair is!!! Cute little one. :)

Unknown said...

wow glasses! thats going to be a battle i would think trying not to loose and break them. but that is WONDERFUL to solve that problem for the poor little girl.

Lori and Trevor said...

She is so cute!! I am so glad you found that out so early!! SO sad she couldnt see anything! You and Nathanael are such good parents! I wish we could hang out with you guys more. I saw you parents at my grandpa's funeral. I was happy to see them!

Jeff and DeeAnna said...

I'm glad to hear that this will help her. Next time we see you she will be running to make up for all th lost walking time. Say hi to them both from Rachel and me. Merry Christmas.

Unknown said...

My beloved Dodds. I believe you dont remember me, however it goes: Willian from Brazil, Costa e Silva Ward.

I'd like to talk to you.

Willian